Man electrocuted at Goa's biggest waste dump
A survey worker was injured on Thursday, after he was electrocuted, while conducting a survey of the Sonsodo garbage dump in South Goa, which incidentally also caught fire following the sparks emanating from the incident. While the survey worker has been hospitalised is out of danger, ten fire tenders have been rushed to the site to bring the fire at the garbage dump under control.
"One survey worker was injured after coming in contact with a 33KVA line which was passing over the dump," local Congress MLA Aleixo Reginaldo told reporters, after visiting the site located in South Goa.
The Bombay High Court bench in Goa is monitoring the treatment of waste Goa's biggest open garbage dump located at Sonsodo, after a petition filed in August this year sought removal of the accumulated garbage at the site, fearing health hazards.
This is not the first time that the garbage dump has caught fire.
In May this year, the garbage dump had started been emitting smoke due to fire triggered by combustible methane gas pockets in the dump. The issue was subsequently thoroughly debated in the state assembly, even as the Opposition pinned the blame on the state government for not handling the issue pre-emptively.
Shubman Gill Appointed New Captain of Gujarat Titans for IPL 2024
AAP Launches 'Ambedkar Fellowship for Political Change' to Empower Youth in Politics
Justice Served But No Closure, Says Soumya Vishwanathan's Mother After Sentencing Of Convicts
Tamil Nadu's Healthcare Boom: From Hotel Rooms to Hospital Wards, Shifting Focus from Hospitality to Hospitals
Elon Musk Set to Visit Israel and Meet PM Netanyahu Amid Antisemitism Controversies