Four Pakistani nationals among five militants killed in gunfights



Five militants, including four Pakistani nationals, were killed and a para commando of the army was injured in two separate gunfights between security forces and militants in Kashmir valley on Thursday. Five civilians protesting a security forces operation were also injured in firing.

Defence Ministry spokesman, Colonel Rajesh Kalia said four militants were killed in Futlipora village of Pakherpora area of central Badgam district, while one militant was killed in Sagipora village of Sopore area in Baramulla district.

A senior police officer said three of the bodies of the killed militants have been recovered from the gunfight site in Futlipora village. Searches is on to trace the body of the fourth militant.

"Of the four slain militants, three were Pakistani nationals, while the fourth was Shabir Ahmad Thokar, a local militant. All the four militants belonged to Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) outfit," the officer said.

Five civilians were injured in Pakherpora Chowk when a mob attacked an army convoy carrying reinforcements to Futlipora village where the gunfight was going on.

Police said the army fired in the air to disperse the protesters. However, doctors said three of the injured civilians, including a 15-year-old boy, had gunshot wounds.

The mob also torched a private vehicle in Futlipora which was allegedly used by the security forces during the operation and later left behind near the gunfight site.

The injured civilians have been shifted to hospital for treatment.

In another gunfight that erupted in Sagipora village of Sopore area in Baramulla district, one militant was killed and a para commando of the army was injured.

Police said the killed militant was a Pakistani national belonging to Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) outfit.

Giving details of the Badgam operation, Colonel Rajesh Kalia said following specific information about the presence of militants, the security forces had surrounded Futlipora village in the morning.

"As the security forces closed in on the hiding militants, the security forces were fired upon, triggering the encounter."

Authorities suspended Internet services in the district to prevent spread of rumours, police said. - IANS